Medicines made from herbs Edit
From Herbs to OTCS-:>
- Aspirin (salicylic acid) - from white willow bark & meadowsweet plant
- Atropine-used to treat irregular heartbeats- from belladonna leaves
- Colchicine (used for gout) - from autumn crocus
- Digoxin (Lanoxin, used widely in heart medication) - from foxglove, a poisonous plant
- Ephedrine (used to widen or relax the airways) - from the ephedra plant
- Morphine & Codeine (narcotics) - from the opium plant
- Paclitaxel (Taxol, used to treat metastatic ovarian cancer) - from the yew tree
- Quinine (used for malaria) - from cinchona bark
- Vinblastine (Velban) & vincristine (Oncovin)- anti-cancer drugs- from perwinkle
Dangerous & Potentially fatal:>
- Bloodroot, promoted as an expectorant, purgative, stimulant, and plaque and cavity preventer, is used in such a range of doses that it can be dangerous, and has been known to cause death if used to induce vomiting.
- Chan su, a tropical aphrodisiac also known as stone, love stone, and rockband, has been fatal when mistakenly ingested.
- Chaparral tea which is claimed to be an antioxidant and pain reliever has caused liver failure, necessitating liver transplantation.
- Coltsfoot used for respiratory problems has caused liver problems.
- Comfrey used to promoted wound healing & formerly to relieve ulcers of the bowel, stomach, liver, and gallbladder has been linked to liver problems and cancer.
- Indian Tonics can lead to lead poisoning.
- Jin bu huan, an ancient Chinese sedative and analgesic contains morphine-like substance and has caused hepatitis.
- Kombucha tea, made from mushroom cultures and used as a cure-all has caused death from blood acid disorder.
- Lobelia used to treat respiratory congestion has led to respiratory paralysis and death.
- Ma huang or ephedra, an ingredient in many diet pills can cause psychotic behaviors, seizures, irregular heartbeats, heart attack, stroke and death. It can be sold under such names as <Ecstasy, Cloud 9, and Ultimate Xphoria to induce a "high" associated with illegal drugs.
- Pennyroyal used to induce menstruation and treat colds, fevers, and the flu has caused liver failure, kidney failure, coma and death.
- Sassafras used often times as a diuretic and a treatment for skin disorders and rheumatism, has been linked to liver damage, narcotic poisoning, and miscarriages.
- Yohimbe bark used as an aphrodisiac and hallucinogen has caused psychotic behavior.
All of these herbs should be used with extreme caution and all herbs should be used in conjunction with your doctors knowledge and after speaking with a professional. This site is to be used as a reference, a starting point to your own care.